Responsible for the operation of all aspects of the Circulation Department of a busy public library, including staff supervision, collection development, circulation services, and budget oversight. In coordination with the Management Team, plans and manages circulation technology upgrades and policies, including the introduction of new procedures. Reports to the Assistant Director and Director.
Supervises professional and support staff in the Circulation Services Department; oversees volunteers and pages assigned to the department.
Assists all library visitors in the use of the library, including general questions, research, the Internet, electronic resources, readers’ advisory, and library computers and materials.
Assists library staff with patron problems and conflicts as they arise.
Works with the administrative staff to ensure safety and security of the public areas of the library.
Hires, trains, supervises, schedules, and evaluates department staff.
Actively participates in all appropriate professional meetings, including staff meetings, meetings of Department Heads, Merrimack Valley Library Consortium, and others, as designated.
Plans, organizes, and leads departmental meetings.
Plans and facilitates library-wide policies relating to circulation and technology training.
Leads collection development efforts for fiction print materials.
- Master of Library Science Degree from an ALA-accredited institution; will consider ongoing work towards a graduate degree and combined experience
- Three to five years experience in a public library administrative position, preferably Circulation Services, managing both MLS and paraprofessional staff
- Demonstrated facility and experience with the Internet, electronic databases, Microsoft Office products, and integrated library systems
- Demonstrated facility and/or experience working with the public in a diverse urban environment
- Working knowledge of Spanish or Portuguese is a plus
- Ability to meet deadlines, juggle projects, and adapt quickly to change
- A friendly, outgoing manner; ability to welcome people into the library and be a gateway to what we offer
Salary: $44,509-52,213 (steps on City pay scale)
Closing Date: Open Until Filled, Priority Given to Applications Received by May 5th
How to Apply: Please send resumé and cover letter to:
Sarah Moser, Director
Haverhill Public Library
99 Main Street
Haverhill, MA 01830
Email submissions are strongly encouraged, please do not call about this job