Schedule: 26-30 hrs/ week, flexible, including some evenings and weekends
Compensation: $16.00 - $19.00 per hour
Benefits: Paid Time Off/ holidays; Paid memberships in professional organizations; Support for professional development activities (formal & informal); Free coffee!
Accountability: Reports to the Library Director
Status: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Deadline: Open until filled
This is a great time to join our team at the Plaistow Public Library.
- Do you have a vision of the public library as the vibrant hub of community life?
- Are you a passionate community-builder who can create a full slate of library programs to create amazing experiences for our adult patrons?
- Are you a great communicator with outreach, marketing or public relations experience?
- Are you excited about working collaboratively with local partners to deepen and broaden community connections in our town and region?
Brainstorming, planning, marketing, event-day execution, follow-up evaluation and reporting – these are certainly part of the job description, but they only scratch the surface of the transformation we hope you’ll help us bring to our library and town.
We want to maintain the best traditions of library programming (book groups, author visits, lectures, displays, exhibits, et al.) But we also recognize that business-as-usual is no longer good enough. Society and technology are changing rapidly and to remain relevant the library has to continually re-invent itself and change the ways people think about what we can offer.
We’re looking for a pioneer, but not just someone who wants to jump on the latest bandwagon. If the concepts of embedded librarianship, collaborative consumption, or the sharing economy inspire or intrigue you, then you have a sense of the paths we want to explore together.
No doubt, you have the core qualities of a great colleague – professionalism, a positive attitude, great work ethic, good sense of humor, eagerness to learn and challenge yourself. So what else are we looking for?
You have some, and hopefully many, of the following ABILITIES & TRAITS …
- You’re curious about what makes a community “work” and a great place to live.
- You love the idea of creating amazing and transformative experiences for our patrons.
- You’re passionate about bringing groups together through unique public events and serving as a fuse to ignite social energies that people didn’t know were there.
- You love helping others learn, grow and share.
- You’re an energetic self-starter.
- You can mobilize and inspire others to work together while exhibiting humility and exemplary listening skills.
- You’re curious and love looking outside normal library channels for inspiration and great ideas.
- You can prioritize and handle multiple projects at the same time, handling bumps in the road with composure and grace.
- You’re an explorer who loves meeting new people, listening closely to them, and building new partnerships.
- You can represent the library with confidence “out there”, in spaces where our patrons actually live, work and play.
- You don’t mind taking risks or trailblazing a new path, even if it means there may be times when 3 people show up to an event.
- You want more than just a job – “If I can’t dance, it’s not my revolution.”
- A design sensibility – proficiency with Adobe products, Microsoft Publisher, infographics or other graphic design software.
- Traditional and/or social media wrangling.
- Proficiency with audiovisual technologies (photography, film, sound equipment).
- Success as a coach, teacher or community organizer.
If you're ready to apply, submit a resumé and cover letter via email to Cab Vinton, firstname.lastname@example.org, or regular post, Plaistow Public Library, 85 Main St., Plaistow, NH 03865.
We would also welcome relevant work samples – a press release or flyer, a design-inspired or video resumé – anything illustrating what you're capable of and where your dreams might take us. Show us your A game!