Goffstown Public Library is seeking a dynamic, people-oriented individual for a 25-hour per week position. Primary responsibility for providing assistance to the public for their information needs, including usage of electronic services. Assists in collection maintenance of the adult collection by shelf reading, selection of materials as assigned, deselection and other collection development tasks. Significant interaction with the public. Position includes evenings, Saturdays. Qualifications: Bachelor or Associate degree and equivalent college courses required; may be waived by Library Director. Related public service experience required, preferably in a public library setting. Excellent communication skills, public service attitude & computer literacy required. $18.30 per hour to start.
To Apply: Send resumé, cover letter & 3 professional references by Friday, June 2, 2017 to:
Dianne Hathaway, Director
Goffstown Public Library
2 High Street
Goffstown, NH 03045.
Goffstown Public Library
LIBRARY ASSISTANT—ADULT SERVICES, Part-time
Grade/Classification: Non-exempt hourly position.
Job Summary: provides assistance to the public for their information needs, including usage of electronic services. Assists in collection maintenance by shelf reading, selection of materials as assigned, deselection and collection rotation on the library’s second floor. Significant interaction with the public.
Accountability: Reports to Library Director or other senior staff. There is a six-month trial period and performance reviews are scheduled annually.
Supervisory Responsibility: none
Equipment used: To include but not limited to computers and peripherals, barcode reader photocopier, telephone, fax machine and small hand tools, video and digital camera, electronic smart devices, tablets and readers.
Environment: Most tasks and duties are performed within the Library building; attendance at meetings and conferences outside the Library.
Normal hours of duty: As scheduled, including evenings and Saturdays.
Duties and Responsibilities
The following activities are essential to this position:
- Provide reader’s advisory and reference services to the public, via email, in person, through online live chat and over the telephone.
- Assists patrons in locating appropriate materials and using public access terminals for the catalog, Internet and subscription databases.
- Assist with adult program planning, advertisement and marketing.
- Provide computer instruction to the public, by appointment or as needed.
- Promote the library through community television and electronic media in concert with other staff.
- Correspondence with other area libraries by telephone or email to assist the public with their unique information needs.
- Maintenance of the adult collection including selection, shelf reading, deselection, and collection rotation.
- Coverage of other areas of the library, as assigned.
- Attend professional meetings and conferences at the discretion of the Library Director.
- Prepare monthly statistics and forward to Library Director.
- Develop and maintain displays, bulletin boards and reading lists.
- Coverage of other areas of the library as assigned.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor or Associate degree or equivalent college courses required; may be waived by Library Director. Related public service experience required, preferably in a public library setting.
OTHER CONSIDERATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
Job requires some lifting, frequent walking and stair climbing, along with the ability to climb on stools and ladders to retrieve materials on high shelves. Ability to listen, understand and interpret patron and staff requests and questions critical. Excellent multitasking and customer service attitude required. Ability to work cooperatively and patiently with staff and library users; good verbal and written communication skills; computer literacy expected. Must be self-motivated and able to work with minimal to moderate supervision. Enthusiasm for reading and information systems a definite plus. Appropriate attire and a courteous manner are expected.