The Director is the front-line person in creating a welcoming environment for all ages. They are expected to be comfortable working closely with library patrons, town administrators, and the Board of Trustees. Excellent oral and written communication skills and a service-oriented attitude are required.
The Library Director exercises considerable judgment in making administrative decisions including personnel, public relations, collection development, budget management, program creation & implementation, and supervision. The director, who reports to the elected Board of Trustees, provides leadership to 2-3 part time staff and to volunteers. The director is the library’s sole full time employee.
The Library Director serves as the spokesperson for the library to the community and represents the library in interactions with town officials.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; a Master’s degree in Library Science or a related field is preferred.
- A minimum of three years of professional public library experience is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills and proficiency with technology are required.
- Strong proficiency with computers, library technology, internet, and social media.
- Ability to communicate effectively and maintain positive working relationships with the Board of Trustees, library staff, and the general public.
- Knowledge of management principles and public library administration including budgeting, organization, personnel, and public relations.
- Ability to supervise the Library’s collection development, including the selection and withdrawal of books, periodicals, audio-visual and electronic materials.
- The ability to multi-task and provide quality customer service is essential.
Please submit a cover letter, resumé, and three reference contacts (two of which must be professional), to Library Search Committee, PO Box 30, Deerfield, NH 03037 or email to: PJLibrarySearch@gmail.com. Electronic submission is fully acceptable. Review of applications will begin June 9; the position will remain open until filled. Anticipated start date is on or before September 1.
Deerfield is an equal opportunity employer.