Schedule: 10-15 hours, flexible, including some evenings and a Saturday rotation
Compensation: $11.50 per hour DOE
Benefits: Paid holidays, strong support to participate in professional development opportunities
About the position:
Peterborough Town Library is looking for an enthusiastic and adaptable team player to assist us with patron services. The patron services department is the central hub of our library, serving patrons by phone, email, in-person, and providing friendly customer services. This department circulates items, assists with computer instruction, oversees the makerspace activities, creates book displays, and brainstorms new creative ideas to delight our patrons. We are looking for a helpful, caring, and positive professional who is excited to connect our patrons with ideas and knowledge.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Provides friendly quality service and referrals to other staff members
- Participates in rotating modules to develop 1) reader’s advisory tools to delight patrons, 2) book displays to promote library materials and community resources, 3) digital resource tools
- Assist patrons with locating materials, checking out items, and developing skills to manage their online library account
- Connects patrons to library resources including online tools, collections, programs, and more.
- Promotes community resources and events
- Receives and refers telephone calls.
- Assists patrons with use of library equipment and technology.
- Welcomes new patrons
- Manages meeting hall rentals
- Promotes museum passes
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Enjoy working with people and have a commitment to excellence in customer service
- Able to thrive and maintain a friendly and composed level of service in a fast-paced busy environment
- Communicate with confidence and authenticity in promoting services, programs, and online tools to our patrons
- Fantastic at multi-tasking and prioritizing projects
- Curiosity to learn about the library field, participate in professional development opportunities
- Excitement to learn about our community and all it has to offer
- Flexibility to work various days and hours on short notice
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use appropriate judgment in handling information and records
- A design sensibility, knowledge of working with images, creating basic flyers, and taking photos
- Professional knowledge of public library operations, policies and procedures preferred
- Working knowledge of library technology products including, but not limited to, the Internet, online databases, automated/integrated library systems, audio/eBook download technology.
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing
- Any hidden talents welcome
Position open until August 31, 2017. To apply, send a cover letter and a resumé to Mary Hubbard, Assistant Director, at Library@PeterboroughNH.gov.