Job Posting: Teen Librarian
The Stevens Memorial Library seeks to fill a part-time (18-hours a week) Teen Librarian position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Works with the Adult, Teen and Reference (ATR) Services Librarian to develop and implement a variety of programs and services including book discussions, summer reading events and activities, etc.
- Performs various tasks requiring a broad knowledge of teen / young adult literature, bibliographic sources and principles of information delivery and services to teens / young adults.
- Provides reference and readers’ advisory services to teens / young adults, parents, teachers and caregivers.
- Effectively uses and promotes the library’s collections and electronic resources and assists the ATR Services Librarian with teen / young adult collection development in all formats.
- Maintains a working knowledge of library resources and an awareness of new resources and technologies.
- Provides excellent customer service to the public in person and over the phone and interprets library services and policies to patrons in a clear, consistent and courteous manner.
- Actively participates in staff development and training opportunities when appropriate and embraces opportunities to learn in a changing environment.
- Proficiency in current and emerging trends in library technologies (equipment and their applications).
- Commitment to excellent customer service with demonstrated enthusiasm, patience and flexibility when working with teens / young adults.
- Knowledge of search techniques using print and electronic resources and an ability to instruct others in their use.
- Experience using a library automated system and programs; office applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, and presentations; social media and web development resources.
- Ability to create positive working relationships and collaborate successfully with co-workers; ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- High degree of flexibility and ability to multi-task and frequently change focus in order to meet the varying needs of library users and the dynamic needs of public library service.
- Experience in planning and presenting teen / young adult programs.
Education: Master’s Degree in Library Science (MLS) or Library and Information Science (MLIS) from an American Library Association accredited library school or Bachelor’s Degree with course work toward the degree.
Experience: Work experience in public library setting with teen / young adult patrons preferred.
Physical Requirements: Performs duties under typical library conditions. Position requires frequent physical effort, such as carrying books (20-30 lbs), pushing book carts (up to 150 lbs), bending, stretching, grasping, etc. to retrieve library materials. Able to view computer screens for extended time periods and able to operate computers, telephones, photocopiers, printers and other office equipment.
Schedule: 18 hours a week including at least 1 evening and regular weekend (Saturday 9am-5pm and Sunday 12:30-5pm) in rotation from Labor Day through Memorial Day. Compensation:
Librarian I (S-10) $20.24 - $24.23 in 8 steps; coursework in an MLS degree program
Librarian I (S-11) $21.26 - $25.46 in 8 steps; coursework in an MLS degree program
Librarian I (S-12) $22.10 - $26.46 in 8 steps; MLS degree
Position is subject to the terms and conditions of the Town of North Andover’s AFSCME - Professional Librarians collective bargaining agreement: (http://www.townofnorthandover.com/Pages/NAndoverMA_WebDocs/lm1316.pdf)
Deadline: Anyone interested in the above position must email a cover letter and resume to:
Kathleen Keenan, Library Director
c/o Karen Consoli at KConsoli@NorthAndoverMA.gov
Position is available immediately.
Position is open until filled.
The Town of North Andover is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.