Date: January 9, 2018
The Mary E. Bartlett Library is accepting applications for a full-time Children’s/Young Adult Librarian. We are seeking an innovative, enthusiastic, creative, and customer service-oriented professional to provide vision, leadership and expertise-related library services for children/young adults (birth through grade 12).
This position reports to the Library Director and is a full time, 40 hours per week role that includes occasional Saturday and evening work. This is a salaried, exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act which means that this position is not entitled to overtime.
Required Work Experience:
- 3 – 5 years of relevant library work experience is required, along with a strong background and skills in a broad range of current library and media technologies
- Work experience in a public library setting with children and teens is required
Masters of Library and Information Science or Masters of Library Science preferred.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- proficiency with library and office technologies
- knowledge of children’s /young adult literature, media, and e-resources
- talent to develop inventive and imaginative programming for children and teens
- passion to nurture lifelong reading habits in Brentwood’s youth
- be a multi-faceted self-starter
- adept at handling planning, organizational, and supervisory duties while working at a public service desk environment
- possess a high degree of versatility, flexibility, and initiative
- be committed to customer service
- excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- ability to keep pace with digital trends
- possess a sincere desire to explore and master new and evolving technologies
- Oversee all aspects of the library’s Children’s Room, Tween, and Teen Areas
- Develop and deliver library programs including on-going children’s & young adult programs (ie: story time, summer reading and young adult programming).
- Conducts weekly story time sessions for preschoolers.
- Evaluates children’s/young adult collection for balance, comprehensiveness and current value and interest.
- Assist with the supervision of employees, the daily operation of the library, and make decisions that will meet the objectives provided by the Library Director and Library Trustees.
- Supervise a part-time staff of five assistants and two pages when the Director is not present
Salary Range: $38,000-$43,000, plus a generous benefits package that includes health and dental insurance and participation in the NH Retirement System. This full-time, 40 hour per week position is an exempt position under the Fair Labor Standards Act, which means that this position is not entitled to overtime.
To Apply: Submit a cover letter, resumé, and contact information for three references to: firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls, please.
Closing Date: February 1, 2018
About MEB Library: Brentwood is a small town of about 5,000 residents in New Hampshire and has a very dedicated community who use the library often and enjoy community-based library programs.
Named NH Library of the Year in 2014 by the NH Library Trustee Association, the library is the heartbeat of our thriving community, and offers a welcoming space for patrons of all ages who are in search of a great book, an interesting movie, enriching and entertaining programs, or friendly conversation. We are not a “quiet” library; our staff rarely needs to “shhhh!” visitors. We pride ourselves in being an integral community resource, with an active and highly engaged Friends of the Library group, strong community support, and a devoted Board of Trustees.