Staffing the reference desk, the librarian will assist users with research, utilizing library tools and resources, and suggest materials for further study. This individual will also assist users with general inquires of citation styles, technology and University information as needed. Other projects as assigned can include: creating subject and course guides, writing FAQs, etc.
Essential duties and responsibilities of this position include the following:
- Staffs the reference desk and provides service to all SNHU community members
- Conducts thorough reference interviews to determine users’ questions and extent of information needed
- Instructs library users on use of print and electronic resources
- Assists users in developing research strategies to locate, evaluate and use resources in an effective and ethical manner
- Assists users with general information on citation styles, technology, and University information
- Assists with basic troubleshooting of access issues and/or refers to appropriate Library personnel or University department
- Works with scheduled individual students via phone
- Refers users to make individual instruction appointments for more in depth research assistance as needed
- Refers users to other departments on campus for information as needed
- Creates subject Libguides as assigned
- Other projects as assigned
- A Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program
- Knowledge of online and print resources
- Strong computer-based skills including knowledge of Microsoft Office, e-mail, web searching and basic computer troubleshooting
- Experience with automated library systems, Millennium preferred
- Strong word processing/typing skills at least 40 WPM
- Familiarity with Springshare Products such as LibAnswers, LibChat and LibGuides
- Commitment to instruction and building student knowledge as it relates to research
- Two years professional experience providing reference and/or virtual reference for an academic audience
- Experience working with online/distance education students
Typically Monday through Friday, 11:00am to 4:00pm with flexibility to meet business demands as needed. Hours may vary during summer and holiday/break periods.
A background check is required for employment. Please submit a cover letter, in addition to your resume, with your application.
Why Join SNHU?
Southern New Hampshire University (SNHU), founded in 1932, is a private, nonprofit, accredited institution located in Manchester, New Hampshire. We value teamwork, openness and diversity, and believe every employee has a voice in driving our success. We’re proud to have been recognized for 11 consecutive years as a Great College to Work for by the Chronicle of Higher Education. Our competitive benefits package includes tuition reimbursement, employer contribution to Retirement Plan, affordable Medical, Dental, and Vision coverage, and generous paid-time off. We’re constantly seeking creative, collaborative, and hard-working talent to join our team! Come be a part of innovation and education!
The position description and link to apply can be found here: https://snhu.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/External_Career_Site/job/Manchester-NH---North-River-Road/Reference-Librarian--Part-Time_R0003669