Supervisor: Library Director
Summary: The Blaisdell Memorial Library in Nottingham, NH seeks an energetic and customer service-oriented professional to become our Head of Circulation Librarian. This position reports directly to the Library Director and is responsible for the daily proper function of the circulation desk, collection maintenance, and patron services. The successful candidate will have a positive attitude and outlook, strong customer service skills, flexibility, a passion for libraries, and be a team player. As a small library our staff wear many hats and work closely together to best serve our patrons.
The Blaisdell Memorial Library is in interior Rockingham County, 15 miles from the University of New Hampshire, with easy access to major highways, exceptional natural resources, and a wide range of recreational opportunities. The library serves a supportive community of approximately 5,000, has 2,800 library patrons, an annual circulation of 40,000 from its collection of over 18,800 items, hosts variety of programs for children, teens, and adults.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the daily operation of the Library’s Online Integrated Library System (Apollo-Biblionix) and the circulation desk.
- Maintains expertise in the use of the Library’s ILS and catalog.
- Advises the Library Director when repairs and maintenance are needed.
- Responsible for applicable clerical procedures and for the training of circulation staff.
- Provides patrons with general information on library services; assists and instructs patrons in using library services, equipment, and facilities.
- Oversees and manages all holds and interlibrary loans processes, procedures, and requests.
- Responsible for fulfilling library and patron book group interlibrary loans, including Reads-To-Go: NH KitKeepers.
- Uses interlibrary loan or other appropriate referrals to aid and direct patrons.
- Understands and performs all jobs related to library technical services; including but not limited to: cataloging and classifying library materials; maintaining an accurate, up-to date database of library holdings; and physically processing items being added to and withdrawn from the collection.
- Maintains consistency in the cataloging, classification, and physical processing of library materials.
- Repairs or returns damaged materials, as appropriate.
- Assists with collection development of print and media, including reading book review publications and maintaining ‘automatically yours’ authors for the collection. Advises the director on patron requests and additional titles the library should purchase.
- Attend professional development and conferences, either self-initiated or director suggested.
- Assumes authority in the absence of the Library Director in accordance with established Library policies.
- Additional duties include shelving, shelf reading, readers’ advisory, creating displays, and other duties as assigned.
- Be able to work in accordance with the Library Director and maintain a clear line of communication.
- Understands the latest professional cataloging and classification rules, plus library processing conventions.
- Ability to work independently, take initiative, and organize work for efficient use of time.
- Possesses strong computer skills including proficiency with email, Google Drive, Publisher, Word, Overdrive, and is willing to participate in applicable training when necessary.
- Ability to interact courteously and effectively with the public and staff. ? Ability to understand and interpret library policies, procedures and rules.
- Ability to represent the library at professional and community meetings.
- Due to the nature of the job’s tasks, candidate must be able to push and pull carts, do a moderate amount of bending, squatting, lifting (up to 40 pounds), stretching, and standing for an extended period of time.
Salary: $16 - $19 per hour, depending upon experience.
Schedule: 24 hours/week + 5 hours/month
Tuesday 10:00 AM – 3:00 PM
Wednesday 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Thursday 1:00 PM – 8:00 PM
Friday 11:00 AM – 4:00 PM
Saturday 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM (1/month)
Application Details: The position is open until filled and interviews will begin the week of November 4th. Please email cover letter and resume to Elizabeth Bolton, director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.