Manchester, NH Campus
For nearly 200 years, MCPHS University, formerly known as Massachusetts College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences, has been at the forefront of innovation in the healthcare world. We take pride in our history, yet are motivated by a curiosity about the future. That’s why we are constantly updating our state-of-the-art labs, innovating our curriculums, and adding programs to coincide with the needs of an ever-changing healthcare landscape.
Faculty and staff continue to bring their talents and skills to MCPHS University to contribute to our mission of guiding and supporting students toward successful and sustainable careers in healthcare. Whatever position an employee holds, their efforts make an important impact on the overall quality of campus life. Employees are an integral part of a community that is proud of its heritage and the accomplishments that make MCPHS University a first-class educational institution.
The Library Assistant position includes the following responsibilities:
- Staff the circulation/information desk. Assist patrons in locating, signing out and use of print and electronic resources of the library. Operate the branch library’s online and manual circulation systems.
- Respond to reference questions. Communicate with patrons via email, telephone, and in-person requests.
- As appropriate, refer research related questions to professional librarians, and technology related questions to Information Services staff.
- Supervise and train student library employees and co-ordinate their daily activities.
- Train students on the use of the Voyager Online Library System.
- Assist librarian with the day-to-day tasks of running the Manchester campus library.
- Collect statistics relating to circulation, reference transactions and other library operations.
- Organize lists for reserves of recommended print/multimedia purchases for the Manchester Campus Library. Work with Boston acquisitions/cataloging staff in the processing of new purchases for the Manchester campus.
- Communicate with the Boston library any issues with the Voyager Online Library System, includes system updates and patron databases.
Additional responsibilities may be assigned by supervisor.
This is a temporary, part-time (up to 19 hours/wk) position, and is not eligible for benefits.
- A bachelor's degree
- Current enrollment in a library science program or an earned library assistant degree or certificate
- Strong commitment to excellent customer service
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and public relations skills
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment
- Ability to manage time effectively
- General office experience and comfort with computers, MS Office and basic Internet skills
- Interest in acquiring new skills in a rapidly changing environment
- Experience working in a library or office environment
- Knowledge of electronic and print library resources, library circulation systems and online library catalogs
- Knowledge of health information, including medical terminology and medical reference sources.
- Current or future enrollment in a library school program
To apply, please visit https://careers-mcphs.icims.com/jobs/2266/library-assistant/job. Attach a cover letter and a resume or curriculum vitae. No phone calls, please. Principals only. No relocation available. Finalist candidate(s) for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background check as a condition of employment. MCPHS University is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants who would enrich the University’s diversity are welcome to apply.