To provide exceptional customer service by developing a general working knowledge of the library (collections, library practices, policies and procedures) and patron needs. Under supervision, the Library Clerk performs circulation duties and other tasks as needed to maintain the smooth operation of the library.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Provides excellent customer service.
- Performs circulation functions including: checking in/out, reserving and renewing materials, collecting fees, and maintaining patron records.
- Answers basic reference questions, and refers patrons to other sources as appropriate.
- Assists patrons in locating materials, in using the Catalog Search and the Internet.
- Operates PC, photocopy, fax or other basic office machines.
- Answers phone inquiries.
- Shelves library materials and performs other stack maintenance activities.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Organizing display case, contacting participants and providing signage as needed.
- Keeping welcome materials available for volunteers to assemble in packets
- Covering circulation desk; shelving and shelf-reading
- Contacting patrons re: overdue items, fines, reserves or other news or information
- Processing and repairing materials
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to deal courteously and efficiently with a diverse population of library patrons.
- Ability to follow written and oral instruction/procedures.
- Good general office/clerical/computer skills.
- Ability to alphabetize and to organize by Dewey classification.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Capacity to work both independently and as a team member.
- Communicate effectively orally, in writing, and by listening.
- Ability to maintain patron confidentiality.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including evening and weekend hours.
- High School Diploma or GED required; some college preferred.
- Experience in a public library setting preferred; a suitable combination of education and experience will also be considered.
Brookline Public Library
16 Main Street
Brookline, NH 03033