19 hours per week
Department: Stevens Memorial Library
Salary Grade Range: $18.22 to $22.87 per hour (S-6)
Benefits Eligibility: Not eligible for health and dental insurance benefits. Pro-rated benefits as provided in applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Bargaining Unit: AFSCME
Council 93, Local 2978, Clerical
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Work Schedule 19 hours per week, including at least 1 evening per week (5:00p.m. to 9:00 p.m.) year-round and 1 weekend (Saturday and Sunday) in a regular rotation set from Labor Day to Memorial Day.
Candidates are REQUIRED to submit a completed Town of North Andover
Employment Application to be considered for this position.
POSITION SUMMARY: Performs paraprofessional, clerical, and direct service work supporting various library services at the Stevens Memorial Library. Performs various routine but responsible library functions according to prescribed procedures, requiring constant attention to detail, accuracy, initiative and reliability. Performs other related work as required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides technical and clerical support in circulation or children’s services area; assists users in obtaining information and library materials.
2. Charges and discharges books and materials at a circulation desk; registers new patrons, entering relevant information onto the computer; updates existing patron records; files associated paperwork.
3. Assists with overdue materials; collects fees; and billing. Balances cash drawer daily and/or weekly.
4. Shelves library books and materials; may check shelves for accuracy of placement.
5. Assists patrons in locating and retrieving books and materials.
6. Takes requests for reserve and interlibrary loan books and notifies patrons when requested books are available. May perform some reader advisory services.
7. Answers the telephone, directing calls to the appropriate staff person or area, assisting the caller with general questions, and taking messages when necessary.
8. Maintains general level of order and tidiness in public and staff areas.
9. Prepares and processes new materials for circulation; updates book labels, jackets, and ownership identification on all new materials; makes repairs to materials; considers materials for possible discard.
10. May perform miscellaneous data entry, filing and photocopying. Gathers statistics and performs data entry work.
11. Performs similar or related work as required or as situation dictates. ___________________________________________________________________________________
Education, Training, and Experience:
High School diploma is required. Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
Public library circulation experience using an automated integrated library system program is desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Strong computer and technology skills;
Exceptional customer service skills;
Ability to deal tactfully and effectively with the general public;
Ability to articulate clearly and apply consistently both Library and Network Consortium policies;
Strong organization skills and able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously; and
A high degree of flexibility and collaborative team skills essential; English language skills.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Performs duties under typical library conditions. Position requires frequent physical effort, such as carrying books (up to 20-30 pounds), pushing book carts (up to 150 pounds), bending, stretching, grasping, etc., to shelve library materials. May require standing at counter-high desk for long periods of time. Able to view computer screens for extended periods of time and able to operate computers, telephones, photocopiers, and other standard office and library equipment. Has frequent contact with library patrons, other library personnel. May be required to work evenings and weekends. Errors could result in misplaced or lost books and loss of goodwill with the general public.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to do this job. The above is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
Supervision Received: Daily work is performed under the general supervision of Service Librarians.
Supervision Given: None.
Selections shall be made on the basis of qualifications, ability, and dependability. Formal application, rating of education and experience, oral interview, reference check, and job-related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
All applicants are required to submit a cover letter and resume along with a completed Town of North Andover employment application by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org, or by mail or hand delivery to Human Resources Department, Town of North Andover, 120 Main Street, North Andover, MA 01845. The employment application may be obtained on the internet at www.northandoverma.gov/human-resources, by visiting the Human Resources Department, or by calling (978) 688-9526. Resumes may be attached to the employment application but may not serve as a substitute for completing the required employment application.
Applicants will be required to undergo an extensive background check including CORI screening.
Completed applications must be
received by the Human Resources Department no later than 4:30 p.m. on Monday, November 1, 2021
will be notified of their standing in the process as soon as a decision has
been made regarding their individual application. Individuals who need
accommodations in order to participate in this process should contact the Human
Resources Department at (978) 688- 9526.
Questions regarding this hiring
process should be addressed to:
Human Resources Department - Town of North Andover
120 Main Street
North Andover, MA 01845